What, you may ask, is a Liebster Award?
The word Liebster is German for "dearest" or "beloved" and , while no one is certain how it began, the award is something bloggers give to other blogs that they love. Though it's not doled out by an esteemed panel of travel writing and photography critics, it was awarded to us by a fan of our site, which is a huge compliment and the recognition means a lot to us! So thanks for the shout out ETSY and BV readers - make sure you check out their site and IG feed!
Here is how the Liebster works:
1) ETSY nominated us for the award and asked us to answer 11 questions.
2) We answered their questions below.
3) We created 11 new questions and nominated five of our favorite blogs to do the same.
So without further ado, here are our answers to ETSY's questions:
1. Which is the most underrated country you've been to and why?
Germany. We expected to find Germany interesting from a historical perspective - which it was. But we were blown away by the culture, the lovely people and the phenomenal creative / design / art scene. Berlin is now one of my favorite cities. And Chris was a huge fan of the orderliness & politeness!
We love to learn, and when you travel, you are learning something new every minute of the day.
3. What is the strangest thing you've eaten?
Eva: It's a tie between grasshoppers or Luwak coffee (made from coffee beans pooped out by a Luwak)
Chris: Guinea pig is the strangest thing he knows he has eaten, but there is a good chance he has unknowingly consumed far more peculiar things than that. The man has sampled his fair share of mystery meats!
4. What inspired you to start a blog?
We started Beyond Voyage as a way to keep friends and family updated on our trip around the world.
5. What was your most embarrassing moment while traveling?
In Sirince, Turkey we accidentally turned down a pedestrian only street in our rental car. The street was too narrow to turn around and too twisted to back up. Luckily, a shepherd (as in a man who herds sheep for a living) escorted us through networks of pedestrian streets on foot. People had to dismantle their kiosks so we could drive through. The whole town was outside watching us. To make matters worse, or rental car was an obnoxious bright orange Volvo.
We've had a lot of off the beaten track travel experiences, but one of the most interesting was being shown around Bali by local friends who live in a small village near Ubud. We attended the village temple ceremonies, visited a local school, met local families and even had a private Balinese welcome dance performed by the village girls. It was a truly unforgettable experience!
I know it sounds cliche, but travel has made our lives richer and more exciting. It has also made us more empathetic, braver and appreciative of everything we have.
8. If you are craving comfort food while on the road, what would you look for?
Eva: A coffee and a pastry, or some kind of yummy cheese with freshly baked bread.
Chris: Meat and a pint of beer.
9. What is your favorite travel hack.
The old throwaway ticketing trick. In other words, booking a cheaper connecting flight going through your destination to another city, and ditching the second leg.
10. Which is your favorite foodie destination and why?
Tie: South Africa and Mexico. We love South Africa for the abundance of fresh delicious produce and interesting tasty game meats. Mexico is home to our favorite type of cuisine, and nothing beats motulenos for breakfast and fresh margaritas on the beach!
11. What is the one travel website you can't live without?
1. Allasia & Casey @ The Piece Collection (professional global shoppers)
2. Andrew & Adrienne @ A and A Take The World (beautiful nomadic couple; fab IG commentary)
3. Shobha @ Just Go Places (adventures in family travel)
4. Rafael @ Pixamundo (gorgeous photos from some of my favorite places)
5. Ana @ The City Sidewalks (city focused travel guides)
...and here are our 11 questions for them:
1. Where are you going next?
2. What destination or experience are you scared to try?
3. If you were to open a bar on a beach anywhere in the the world, where would it be, what would you name the bar and what album would you play every evening at sunset?
4. What is your favorite travel photo that you've taken and why?
5. What is the most unique hotel / accommodation you've ever stayed in?
6. What is the worst travel experience you've ever had?
7. What was your favorite music discovery while traveling?
8. In your experience, where are the world's friendliest people?
9. What is the most memorable meal you've had while traveling?
10. Who is the most interesting person you've met while traveling?
11. What is the one clothing item you always pack when traveling?