When Chris asked me what I wanted to do for my birthday, I asked if we could go to NYC without any plans. I just wanted to walk around, see the holiday decorations and maybe stop by a few attractions I've never visited. We were there from Thursday - Saturday and luckily had sunny (albeit cold) weather. Here is what I did:
- Arrived by noon. Lunched with a friend in Grand Central.
- NY Public Library
- Bryant Park Ice Rink & Christmas Tents
- Rockefeller Plaza & Saks 5th Avenue
- Breakfast bagels from Ess-a-Bagel
- Walked through Central Park to the Guggenheim
- Walked from Midtown to NoLita (area north of Little Italy), strolled through shops
- Dinner at Il Buco (fabulous rustic ambiance, wonderful service, and tasty small plates)
- After-dinner stroll through Little Italy
- Brooklyn & Ground Zero/Freedom Tower (More on this soon!)
Hotel: The Tuscany
We stayed in mid-town at The Tuscany hotel and I can't say enough good things about this place. It was reasonably-priced (for New York), the location was fabulous (39th between Park & Lex), the staff was super friendly, and our room was fabulous- particularly the view from our balcony!
It was the perfect low-key, unplanned weekend I had hoped for. Here are a few pictures from my adventures in Manhattan on Thursday & Friday: